I'm not sure if we were fully prepared but who really ever is? It's definitely lots of work to figure out what baby needs and what her cries are....you are in pure survival mode for at least the first month and a half or so.
Anyways....here are a few items we could not live without.
As a newborn...
The Rock N Play - the only thing she would sleep in. She hated lying flat on her back...I believe because of the reflux. She didn't really care for the bassinett we got until now at 3 months.
Swing - she was usually in this during the day time.
Lots of bibs and burp cloths - you will go they so many...especially since Rea has reflux...sometimes two or three a feeding
Swaddle blankets- not the SwaddleMe Velcro kind - I originally bought a TON of these instead of the regular Swaddle blankets BUT she had to have her arms out AND she was a hot box. I say if you try them...just buy one package and then more if you need and baby likes them
Fav Bottles are Playtex - they are super easy! No cleaning the inside of a bottle...just the nipple and screw on lids! we tried Dr. Brown but I hated them and Rea seemed to like the Playtex better too.
I think the first thing to conquer when trying to eat healthy is
learn how to meal prep.
Here are a few tips to help you:
- Pick a day...I usually choose Sunday for the big prep and Wednesday to cook more veggies and carbs. This will take at least an hour or two depending on how much you need to prep.
- Make a list of what you want to cook and ingredients needed.
- Buy a food scale and use measuring cups. If you eyeball your portions...you're probably eating too much.
- Cook in Bulk. I cook tons of meat once a week and freeze in baggies. I usually grill about 9 pounds of chicken and lean beef (maybe more?) and freeze for use throughout the week. I package individual servings into baggies. Servings are about 4oz for me and 6-8oz for dudes. I use this meat for quesadillas, tacos, sweet potato nachos, stir frys or whatever else your creative mind can think of.
- Roast your veggies and cook your healthy carbs a couple times a week. Good veggies to use are asparagus, bell pepper (red,green,yellow), Brussels sprouts, carrots, zuchinni, squash. Good carbs to use are sweet potatoes, make sweet potato fries, red potatoes, rice cakes, rice
- Prep your Tupperware and snacks for 3 days worth. If you have it there and ready...it's easy to grab and eat. Choose a protein, a carb and veggie plus a healthy fat
- Have healthy snacks on hand. Some of my favs are hummus with pretzels or veggies, Quest Bars ( vanilla, cookies n cream and raspberry white Choco are really good), string cheese, red jello, rice cakes topped with almond butter, greek yogurt sweetened with fruit
- Buy a good protein powder to make shakes or smoothies. I like Beverly International Casien in Vanilla.
- Keep it simple. The more you try to prep...the more overwhelming it will feel. If you don't want your prepped meals for dinner....try making quesadillas with your prepped chicken or steak...and make an extra to have a leftover.
I am no expert when it comes to fitness but my hubby and I...we do have a lot of practice under our belts!
I figured I would try at least once a week or at least every two weeks (depending on how much blogging I can do) try to give you tips on exercising and eating healthy. Would you be interested?
Well lately...I've been struggling with making it to the gym and eating healthy...I'll be doing good for a few days and then the next day I'm scarfing down a jar of icing or 3 big bagels in one sitting. Yeah. I know. The horror. It's ok...haven't we all been there at some point? No? Ok then.
Before I became pregnant...I was probably in some of the best shape ever...I had somewhat of a six pack, I was lean, and I felt great!
During my pregnancy...I ate whatever I wanted and now I'm paying for it. I gained 40 pounds. I lost 20 right off the bat....then 10 and now I have 8 pounds to go...3 months after giving birth.
The below was week 34 and 39 of my pregnancy.
Some topics I will discuss are meal prepping, exercises for certain muscle groups and healthy recipes.
Right now....I am offering customized meal plans...